JACKSONVILLE, Ore. — A 19-year-old Jacksonville woman has been jailed after fleeing from deputies in her vehicle and initiating a standoff at her home early Monday morning, according to the Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO).
Just after 3:30 a.m., a deputy tried to pull over the driver of a 2000 Cadillac Escalade for "traffic violations" on Highway 238. Instead of stopping, the driver sped away before pulling up to a home in the 100-block of Humbug Creek Road.
JCSO said that the driver was later identified as 19-year-old Shayna Joy Stanford. Once parked in the driveway, Stanford reportedly ran inside — before appearing in the doorway shortly after, "brandishing an SKS-style rifle."
Deputies tried to negotiate with Stanford, with the young woman refusing to come out. With the help of Stanford's parents, the negotiations ended about 15 minutes later. Although she was convinced to step outside, JCSO said that Stanford, "physically resisted arrest" as the deputies took her into custody, but no one was hurt in the encounter.
The rifle that Stanford had pointed in the direction of deputies turned out to be a pellet gun, according to JCSO.
Stanford was lodged in the Jackson County jail on the following charges: driving under the influence of intoxicants (alcohol); reckless driving; attempting to elude police in a vehicle; attempting to elude police on foot; menacing; resisting arrest. Her bail was set at $32,500.
- Sheriff: Young Jacksonville Woman Arrested for 'Eluding, Menacing Deputy'
- Fraudulent Prescription Suspects Arrested After Eluding Police
- Sheriff: Armed robbery suspect tried to elude deputy on stolen motorcycle
- Police: Suspect 'strangled, assaulted and menaced' woman with a knife
- Police: Dogs kill young deer at Jacksonville Elementary, owners contacted
- Jacksonville Woman Killed in Three-Vehicle Crash
- Tree Ornaments a Merry Menace for Children
- Man Arrested After Eluding Police After Suspected Drug Deal
- Police: Woman arrested after menacing people with a gun in Grants Pass
- UPDATE: Driver Arrested for DUII in Jacksonville Single-Car Rollover