SEVERE WX : Red Flag Warning - Excessive Heat Warning - Heat Advisory - Fire Weather Watch View Alerts

Sheriff: Two Deaths in Siskiyou County Caused by Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The cause of death for two people found in the Mount Shasta Vista subdivision last weekend has been linked to carbon monoxide, according to the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office.

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 2:15 PM
Updated: Feb 13, 2019 2:38 PM

MOUNT SHASTA, Ore. — The deaths of two people found in a Mount Shasta-area home on Saturday have been linked to carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office (SCSO) announced on Wednesday.

An initial investigation determined that foul play was not a factor in the two deaths. Autopsies later confirmed the cause of death.

"An autopsy conducted this week led investigators to attribute the deaths to carbon monoxide poisoning. The manner of death has been ruled 'accidental,'" SCSO said in a statement.

The victims have since identified as 50-year-old Cha Bouashu Lao and 43-year-old Lia Her, both linked to addresses in Sacramento.

The investigation began just after 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, when two deputies responded to a report of "two deceased adults" found in a structure near Carnes Road and Manzanita Road in the Mt. Shasta Vista subdivision, an unincorporated area about 35 miles southeast of Yreka.

“We are saddened by the death of the victims involved in this case. Our thoughts, prayers, and condolences go out to both victims, their families, and friends,” Sheriff Jon Lopey said.

SCSO suspects that the source of the fatal carbon monoxide was charcoal left burning in a "barbecue-type device" that the victims were using to keep themselves warm.

"Charcoal emits a high-level of CO, especially in an enclosed structure, which can be extremely dangerous," SCSO said.

The agency issued the following tips about carbon monoxide, which can kill pets or people with little warning:

 •Many household items can create deadly CO fumes, including gas and oil-burning furnaces, portable generators, charcoal grills, lanterns, unvented or subserviced wood burning stoves, and similar heating devices.

 • Ensure your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances are serviced by a qualified technician once a year.

 • It is highly recommended that battery-operated or battery back-up CO detectors be installed in your home and check or replace the battery when you change your clocks each spring and fall.

 • If the CO detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 9-1-1.

 • Seek medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning. Symptoms include a dizzy, light-headed, and/or a nauseated feeling.

 • Never use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, and garage or near a window of any structure you occupy.

 • Don’t run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the garage door open.

 • Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.

 • Don’t heat your house with a gas oven.

 • If you use a generator near your home, ensure it is located at least 20 feet away from your home, doors, and windows.

 • Carbon monoxide can’t be seen, can’t be smelled, can’t be heard, BUT CAN BE STOPPED by following some of the suggestions mentioned in this news release.

"I want to take this opportunity to remind our citizens that the alarming number of accidental deaths attributed to carbon monoxide poisoning (CO) in recent years is a serious concern," said Sheriff Lopey. "It is important to realize that this time of the year we sometimes see an increase in these types of human tragedies due to freezing temperatures and the unsafe use of heating devices. CO deaths are preventable and are normally caused by the improper or careless use of potentially hazardous heating devices that often emit harmful CO fumes, especially in enclosed areas without proper ventilation. It is equally important to remember that CO is very difficult to detect because it is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas. It is slightly less dense than air and CO can cause disabling and sometimes fatal injuries.”

Oregon Coronavirus Cases

Data is updated nightly.

Cases: 218689

Reported Deaths: 2855
CountyCasesDeaths
Multnomah41723618
Washington27764258
Marion24459332
Clackamas19888241
Lane14804174
Jackson12522155
Deschutes1052887
Umatilla950594
Linn624882
Yamhill506281
Klamath494179
Douglas446188
Polk429357
Josephine413675
Malheur366467
Benton345322
Jefferson249342
Coos230439
Columbia208132
Union167124
Wasco154631
Lincoln153522
Crook139224
Hood River125934
Morrow122317
Clatsop116310
Baker109317
Curry77912
Tillamook7495
Grant5627
Lake4878
Harney45811
Wallowa2286
Gilliam871
Sherman862
Wheeler421
Unassigned00

California Coronavirus Cases

Data is updated nightly.

Cases: 3944933

Reported Deaths: 64386
CountyCasesDeaths
Los Angeles129358324677
Riverside3079224659
San Bernardino3062735236
San Diego2950543798
Orange2817905143
Santa Clara1230832099
Sacramento1152001777
Kern1130711425
Fresno1044581746
Alameda958261282
Ventura835231043
San Joaquin769151460
Contra Costa75842832
Stanislaus657091091
Tulare50363854
Monterey44484528
San Mateo44477588
San Francisco40144561
Solano35703262
Santa Barbara35647467
Merced32961484
Sonoma32665330
Imperial29096745
Placer25146307
Kings23611250
San Luis Obispo21970265
Madera17024249
Santa Cruz16616207
Marin14825239
Yolo14801215
Butte13184205
Shasta12963242
El Dorado11063120
Napa1042082
Sutter10159126
Yuba698551
San Benito627463
Lassen588127
Tehama586466
Nevada535075
Humboldt504553
Mendocino468351
Tuolumne449573
Lake423865
Amador387048
Siskiyou256140
Glenn246427
Colusa235718
Calaveras230758
Del Norte16438
Inyo145338
Mono13255
Plumas7656
Modoc5737
Mariposa4987
Trinity4626
Sierra1290
Alpine890
Unassigned510
Medford
Partly Cloudy
95° wxIcon
Hi: 97° Lo: 67°
Feels Like: 93°
Brookings
Clear
67° wxIcon
Hi: 88° Lo: 65°
Feels Like: 67°
Crater Lake
Mostly Cloudy
95° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 93°
Grants Pass
Partly Cloudy
95° wxIcon
Hi: 100° Lo: 67°
Feels Like: 93°
Klamath Falls
Partly Cloudy
81° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 64°
Feels Like: 80°
More rain and thunderstorms possible Saturday
KDRV Radar
KDRV Fire Danger
KDRV Weather Cam

Community Events