CENTRAL POINT, Ore. — A Prospect man is in custody after reportedly crashing his minivan on Saturday, pulling a stolen handgun on emergency personnel, then fighting with deputies who tried to handcuff him.
Deputies responded to reports of a rollover crash in the 9600-block of Blackwell Road just after 4:30 p.m. They arrived to find a blue Kia Sedona minivan that had veered off the roadway and into a ditch before crashing through a fence and into someone's yard. According to the Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO), a witness reported that the driver had been "driving recklessly" just before the crash.
Medics from Fire District 3 arrived first, followed by a JCSO deputy just minutes later. When the deputy spoke to the driver, identified as 35-year-old convicted felon Jacob Benjamin Hefner, Hefner reportedly ducked into his crashed vehicle and fished out a handgun.
JCSO said that Hefner initially refused the deputy's commands to drop the gun, but eventually agreed to place it on the ground.
When a second deputy arrived on scene, Hefner struggled against the deputies as they attempted to place him in handcuffs. After a brief scuffle, deputies took take Hefner into custody.
“This case just goes to show that there are no ‘routine’ calls in law enforcement,” said Jackson County Sheriff Nathan Sickler. “The deputies handled this stressful situation with courage and prevented anyone from being injured.”
Investigators later learned that the handgun, a revolver, was reported stolen to Medford Police in September. Hefner was also found to be in possession of methamphetamine.
Hefner was assessed for injuries at Asante Rogue Regional Medical Center and then lodged in jail on the following charges: felon in possession of a firearm; resisting arrest; unlawful possession of methamphetamine; driving while suspended/revoked; reckless driving. Bail at lodging was $45,000.
Hefner is also held on a no-bail detention warrant for a probation violation. The case has been referred to the Jackson County District Attorney for prosecution.
- Sheriff: Suspect Arrested After Rolling Vehicle, Fighting Deputies
- Deputies Arrest Sexual Assault Suspect
- Slain Deputy's Handcuffs Used to Arrest Suspect
- UPDATE: Deputies Arrest Armed Suspect at Motel
- Neighborhood Watch helps deputies nab suspects, drugs, stolen vehicles
- Sheriff: Young Jacksonville Woman Arrested for 'Eluding, Menacing Deputy'
- Sheriff: Woman arrested following fight over fish called Lucifer
- Deputies Seek Suspected Prospect Flasher
- Deputies Arrest Suspect in Gold Hill Little League Burglary
- Eagle Point Standoff Suspect Arrested, Deputies Placed on Leave