MCCLOUD, Calif. —
UPDATE: The Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office (SCSO) has now confirmed that the body found in the Shasta Forest Subdivision area is that of 68-year-old Dennis Jewett, who has been missing since the days following December 3.
"An autopsy is scheduled for this week to help investigators determine the cause and manner of death," SCSO said.
(Updated 12/17/18 at 3:55 p.m.)
UPDATE: Human remains found near the town of McCloud in Siskiyou County may belong to 68-year-old Dennis Jewett, according to the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office (SCSO.)
Search and rescue teams found the body just after 10 a.m. on December 16 in the Shasta Forest Subdivision area, SCSO said — not far from Jewett's home.
"The body of the man located by SAR team members was located in a wooded area near Hotlum Drive and Widow Springs, located in the Mt. Shasta Forest Subdivision. The body exhibited signs of decomposition and animal intrusion was obvious to investigators," SCSO said.
Searchers found the body after a Human Remains Detection canine and handler helped to search the area. SCSO said that the team came from Nevada, and proved "very effective" at finding the body even in rugged, remote terrain and with nasty weather.
Jewett was last seen on December 3, and investigators found evidence that he most likely left his home one to three days after that day.
"His home was unsecured and indicators at the scene made the possibility of a criminal assault, burglary, or theft at the home unlikely," SCSO said.
Although investigators did find "several containers filled with processed marijuana" in Jewett's home, they said that there did not appear to be any link between those and Jewett's disappearance.
“Although the body found on Sunday may be the remains of Mr. Jewett, this determination cannot be positively made at this time until the decedent is positively identified and the next-of-kin is notified," said Sheriff Jon Lopey.
(Updated 12/17/18 at 3 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: A man living in rural Siskiyou County is now considered missing — although little is known about the circumstances of his disappearance, according to the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office (SCSO).
Associates of 68-year-old Dennis Delmar Jewett last heard from him on December 3. He lives in the Mt. Shasta Forest Subdivision, east of McCloud.
"Sheriff’s Office personnel are currently investigating this matter to determine the whereabouts of Mr. Jewett," SCSO said.
Investigators believe that Jewett may have left home on foot, since there are "no vehicles associated" with his disappearance. They do not know what clothing he was wearing when he left.
Anyone with information regarding Jewett's disappearance should contact SCSO at 530-841-2900.
- Body Found Belongs to Missing McCloud Man, Sheriff Confirms
- Police Confirm Body Found Submerged in Truck Belongs to Missing Jo Co Man
- DNA confirms remains found belonged to missing Shady Cove woman Malina Nickel, Sheriff's Office says
- UPDATE: Missing Brookings Man Found, Sheriff's Office Confirms
- Sheriff: Missing Myrtle Creek man's body found, truck burned
- Earthquake reported north of McCloud Monday morning
- Police confirm actor Charles Levin’s body found in Oregon
- UPDATE: Body Found on Mount Hood Confirmed to Be Missing Hiker
- Body found in Montana was missing Medford 2-year-old, investigators confirm
- Authorities confirm they have found the body of a missing college student in Georgia