ROSEBURG, Ore. — A missing Douglas County man and his young daughter were discovered dead on Thursday after divers recovered their vehicle submerged in the Umpqua River, according to the county Sheriff's Office.
29-year-old Sean Moss and his daughter Madison have been missing since August 9. The search for them has continued ever since.
Around 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, a deputy out looking for Moss found vehicle debris along the Umpqua River banks near the 11500-block of Garden Valley Road — an area known as Crow Rapids, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said.
Deputies called in a dive team, which soon found a vehicle submerged about 12 feet under water in a narrow canal of the river.
"Despite efforts, attempts to recover the vehicle proved difficult due to the terrain of the riverbed and surrounding landscape and had to be canceled as the sun set," the Sheriff's Office said.
Search efforts began again on Thursday morning. By 10 a.m., crews were able to get the vehicle to shore. They soon confirmed that it was a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer registered to Sean Moss. Deputies found the bodies of both Sean and his daughter Madison inside.
The Douglas County Medical Examiner's Office is now conducting a death investigation, and the Sheriff's Office is still looking into the cause of the crash. Family members of Sean and Madison Moss have been notified of the discovery.
Sean and Madison were reported missing to the Sheriff's Office on August 12. They had been last seen by Moss' co-worker on the evening of August 9. Family members had been expecting Sean and Madison to attend the Douglas County Fair on August 10th, but they did not arrive.
- Sheriff: Missing father and daughter found submerged in Umpqua River
- Two Men Found Dead in Vehicle Submerged in Oregon River
- Umpqua Diary
- The body of a woman missing for 6 years was found in a car submerged in a New Jersey river
- Sheriff: Missing camper found dead in Sacramento River
- Daughter Explains How Missing Hiker Was Found
- Father and daughter reported missing in Douglas County
- Police Confirm Body Found Submerged in Truck Belongs to Missing Jo Co Man
- Missing camper found dead in river
- Missing person found in Rogue River