HAPPY CAMP, Calif. — The search for a Happy Camp reported missing this week is over after someone stumbled upon him "alive and well" at an area campsite, according to the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office (SCSO).
35-year-old John Leland Alameda II was last contacted on Tuesday morning around 1 a.m. via text message. On Monday, Alameda had been out with a friend searching a "remote drainage in the Titus Creek area" for Alameda's lost dog when they became separated after spending roughly 14 hours in the area. That evening, the friend reported Alamed missing.
"Mr. Alameda had a walkie-talkie and a flashlight and after the men became separated in rugged terrain, he was not seen again by the reporting party," SCSO said.
The Sheriff's Office soon mobilized the Search and Rescue team to the Titus Creek area to search for Alameda. They also put out a bulletin with Alameda's picture.
Just before 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning, someone reported that they'd found Alameda at the Ferry Point Campground near Happy Camp. Officers responded to the campsite and confirmed that it was, indeed, Alameda at the campsite.
Although the first responders requested medical aid, Alameda reportedly declined treatment and was brought back to a friend's house in Happy Camp. Neither Alameda nor members of the SAR team ever located the lost dog that started the incident.
"We are very thankful Mr. Alameda was found safe and is now with friends," said Sheriff Jon Lopey. "We appreciate the efforts of federal, state, and local law enforcement personnel, especially SCSO SAR volunteers and coordinator, USFS LEOs, and private citizens who assisted with the successful search for Mr. Alameda.”
- Sheriff: Missing Happy Camp man found 'alive and well' at campsite
- UPDATE: Missing Man in Port Orford Found Alive
- UPDATE: Authorities Find Missing Man Alive
- Sheriff: Body found near Happy Camp identified, death believed to be result of suicide
- Piles of Garbage Causing Problems For Campsites
- UPDATE: Family of Missing Hiker Says He Was Found Alive
- Josephine County Sheriff's Office: Missing Josephine County Man Found Safe
- UPDATE: Missing Brookings Man Found, Sheriff's Office Confirms
- Body Found Belongs to Missing McCloud Man, Sheriff Confirms
- Sheriff: Missing Myrtle Creek man's body found, truck burned