CRESCENT CITY, Calif. — Deputies in Del Norte County arrested a wanted man on Wednesday following an hours-long standoff that began with a tractor attack, according to the Sheriff's Office.
56-year-old Ronald Craig Berry was wanted for probation violation in Del Norte County, outstanding warrants in Curry County, and reports that he had sped away from officers when they tried to pull him over. When deputies arrived outside Berry's house on Wednesday afternoon, he "decided to assault them with a Bobcat Tractor" before running inside his home, the Del Norte Sheriff's Office said.
"It was then that we decided Ronald would not be able to get away today," the Sheriff's Office said. Multiple agencies descended on the area.
A standoff began around 1 p.m. at the house near Moorehead Road. While deputies tried to negotiate with Berry, he reportedly refused to respond or cooperate.
"After several hours of failed attempts to communicate with him, tear gas was introduced into the residence," the Sheriff's Office said. "The interior of the residence was then entered and searched but Ronald was not initially located."
Investigators came to believe that Berry had hidden underneath the house from an access point in his bedroom. Once spotting him below, the Sheriff's Office said it unleashed a hail of tear gas, bean bag rounds, and powdered pepper balls. Berry still refused to surrender.
"Power was turned off to the house and a large hole was cut through the floor, in the living room," the agency said. Once they reached him, the Sheriff's Office said that Berry decided to surrender.
"It's crucial that people choosing to commit crimes in Del Norte County learn that we as law enforcement professionals will not stop pursuing them," said Sheriff Apperson. "We will find them, we will arrest them and we will deliver them to jail. It is equally imperative that they know our community as a whole will not tolerate this behavior. We as a community set the standards that we must live with."
Berry was taken into custody, medically cleared for booking, the brought to the Del Norte County Jail. He currently faces a laundry list of charges, including being a felon in possession of a firearm and assault with a deadly weapon.
- Sheriff: Man wanted in Curry County assaulted deputies with Bobcat tractor
- Curry County Sheriff's Office Seeks Missing Man
- Wanted Suspects Arrested in Curry County
- Man Wanted In Curry County Crimes Apprehended in Nevada
- Sheriff: K-9 helps trooper take down 'extremely violent' wanted Curry County man
- Sheriff: Curry County Phone Scammers Posing as Sheriff's Office
- 911 In Curry County Fixed
- Curry County Sheriff's Office Searches for Shooting Suspect
- Sheriff: Heavy Rains, Flooding Anticipated in Curry County
- Power outage affects thousands in Curry County