BROOKINGS, Ore. — An alert homeowner monitoring his security camera feed while he was away helped deputies arrest two burglars, the Curry County Sheriff's Office says.
Dispatch received a call on Wednesday from Ron Timmsen, who said that someone had just broken into his house on Huckleberry Ridge Road. The area is off Whaleshead Road north of Brookings.
"Deputies were notified of the burglary right away when the homeowner was alerted by notification of the intrusion from his video surveillance system," CCSO said in a statement.
Timmsen was not home at the time, but he watched the two suspects on a video feed.
When deputies arrived at the scene, the two suspects had already left. Despite heavy rain and wind, CCSO said, a K-9 and handler team narrowed the search down to a single home in the neighborhood.
"One suspect was detained right away and the other was found hiding during a search of the home," CCSO said.
The two were identified as 52-year-old Clarence Jackson Jr. and 58-year-old Sebrina Gundlach. CCSO said that they matched the two suspects caught on the surveillance video, and cooperated with investigators once they realized this.
"Neighbors looking out for one another and the more prevalent use of video surveillance technology have made a significant impact in our ability to respond to crimes while they are still in progress and close cases more efficiently," the agency said. "This case is a model example of the desired relationship between our community, the proven performance of K-9 partners and good old fashioned police work."
Jackson faces charges of Burglary 1 and Theft 3, while Gundlach was charged with Criminal Trespass 1.
- Sheriff: Home security helps in arrest of two burglary suspects near Brookings
- Brookings Shooting Suspect in Custody
- Surveillance photos help police arrest burglary spree suspect
- Sheriff: Two Arrested for Josephine County Burglary
- Two Suspects Arrested in Elementary School Burglary
- Security Camera Helps Catch Package Theft Suspect
- Sheriff: Two dead in Brookings plane crash
- Homes flooded by Chetco River in Brookings
- Sheriff: Investigation of Christmas Burglary Ends in Arrest
- Jackson County Sheriff's Deputies arrest one suspect in home invasion, still searching for other suspect