HAPPY CAMP, Calif. — A body found along a remote road near Happy Camp belongs to a man reported missing out of Marysville, California in January, according to the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office (SCSO).
Deputies responded just before noon on Wednesday, May 1 after someone reported finding the body near Independence Creek Road, a Forest Service road near Happy Camp, about 5.2 miles from State Route 96.
SCSO said that Deputy Cody Ruddell arrived at the scene and determined that the body was that of an adult man. He would later be identified as 31-year-old Kevin Randall Gibbs, who had been reported missing out of Marysville back in January. Marysville lies just east of Yuba City, between the Feather and Yuba rivers.
"The investigation, which included an analysis of autopsy results, concluded Mr. Gibbs died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. A firearm and personal belongings were located in vicinity of the decedent’s remains," SCSO said in a statement.
Gibbs' vehicle had been found near Independence Creek at an earlier time, SCSO said, but a search failed to find Gibbs himself.
“On behalf of the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office, I would like to offer our thoughts and prayers to the decedent, his family, and friends in the aftermath of his death," said Sheriff Jon Lopey. "Anyone with information about this case is urged to contact SCSO’s 24-hour Dispatch Center at (530) 841-2900.”
- Sheriff: Body found near Happy Camp identified, death believed to be result of suicide
- Body Found Near Graves Creek Bridge Identified
- Police Believe Body Found In Dayton Is Missing Oregon Mother
- Family believes body found is missing university student
- Sheriff: Missing Happy Camp man found 'alive and well' at campsite
- Deputy arrests Happy Camp man found with 'sword and methamphetamine'
- Sheriff: Remains Found in John Day Cabin Believed Human
- BODY FOUND: Terry Dodds
- UPDATE: Body Found Near Valley of the Rogue Now Identified
- Police Identify Body Found on Trail Near Selma