SISKIYOU COUNTY, Calif. — Authorities are looking into a "suspicious death" in Siskiyou County after someone spotted a body at the bottom of an embankment, according to the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office (SCSO).
Just after 11 a.m. on Thursday, dispatch received a call from a utility worker who said he'd found a "possible deceased body" at the bottom of an embankment near a county road in the "South County" area, SCSO said.
A trooper from California Highway Patrol (CHP) and Sheriff's deputies quickly responded to the scene and confirmed that there was indeed a dead adult person.
"There was evidence located at the scene to suggest the death was suspicious," SCSO said in a statement. Detectives and forensic technicians with the Major Crimes Unit began conducting a crime scene investigation.
“An autopsy will be scheduled this week to help detectives confirm the cause and manner of death in the case," said Sheriff Jon Lopey.
Both CHP and Siskiyou County Public Roads Department are assisting at the scene. SCSO said that more detailed information would be released once investigation of the scene has been completed and all details "thoroughly recorded."
Details about the precise location remain vague until investigators have finished in the area, however Sheriff Lopey did confirm that "South County" refers to the Weed/Mt. Shasta vicinity.
"This case is still under investigation and anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office 24-hour Dispatch Center at (530) 841-2900,” Lopey said.
- Sheriff: Body Found in 'South County,' Circumstances Suspicious
- Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office Investigate Suspicious Death
- Sheriff: 'Suspicious death' ruled a homicide, gunshot wounds found
- BODY FOUND: Terry Dodds
- Body Found Belongs to Missing McCloud Man, Sheriff Confirms
- Sheriff: Missing Myrtle Creek man's body found, truck burned
- Josephine County Sheriff's Office: Looking for Info on Two Suspicious Cars
- Estranged Husband Found, Arrested in Suspicious Death Case
- Body Found in River Identified as Missing Douglas County Man
- Josephine County Sheriff's Office: Missing Josephine County Man Found Safe