KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. — Deputies, state troopers and firefighters arrived at a grim scene at a Klamath Falls home on Thursday morning after hearing reports of a shooting.
A 911 call came in just after 7 a.m. from a "third party, who was not on scene," the Klamath County Sheriff's Office (KCSO) said in a statement. The caller reported a shooting at 6207 Onyx Avenue, saying that there was a suicidal person who was still at the address.
When KCSO deputies, troopers from Oregon State Police and firefighters with Klamath Fire District 1 arrived, they tried to contact someone inside the house but received no response.
Entering the home, responders found 86-year-old Fred E. Mulkey dead from an apparent suicide. In another room, they found 53-year-old Susan Samsel, Mulkey's live-in caregiver, dead from multiple gunshot wounds.
"The Klamath County Major Crime Team consisting of the Klamath County Sheriff’s Office, Klamath County District Attorney Office, Oregon State Police and The Klamath Fall Police have assembled and continue to investigate," the Sheriff's Office said.
No matter where you are, if you or someone you know is suffering from depression or having suicidal thoughts call the National Suicide Hotline at 1(800) 273-8255 or text HELP to 741741.
- Sheriff: 86-Year-Old Man, Caregiver Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide
- Apparent Murder-Suicide Investigated at Medford Home
- Father of Sandy Hook shooting victim dead of apparent suicide
- UPDATE: Victim, Suspect Identified from Apparent Murder-Suicide Near Merlin
- Detectives investigate apparent murder-suicide in Central Point
- 1 Dead and 14 Hospitalized from Apparent Overdose in Chico
- Central Point caregiver accused of stealing from elderly client
- Local support group offers care for the caregivers
- Sheriff: Man dead after fall on Mount Hood
- Two Jackson County Sheriff's Deputies Save Suicidal Inmate