BROOKINGS, Ore. -- 21 firefighters from 4 different agencies came together to save a historic bed & breakfast this morning. Just before 8 a.m., police and fire agencies were called to the South Coast Bed and Breakfast on Redwood St. for a fully involved structure fire. The Brookings Fire Chief tells NewsWatch 12 that one person was inside one of the apartments, but she managed to escape with only minor smoke inhalation and the Chief says she should be okay.
The fire burned a building built in the mid-1900's that used to be a garage with an apartment overhead. The fire chief says recently the garage was also converted to an apartment. The chief says when the fire got out of a window, it quickly consumed the building because of the Cedar Shake Siding. The historic bec and breakfast building was not affected.
The State Fire Marshall is on the scene as of 1pm Wednesday and was expected to begin investigating within the hour.
A call to the B&B affected was picked up by an answering machine.
- Dramatic Fire in Brookings Spares B and B
- BREAKING: Small Fire North of Brookings
- Brookings Shooting Suspect in Custody
- Brookings Couple Starts to Rebuild after Chetco Bar Fire
- Family Looking For Missing Brookings Man
- Brookings Grant Looks into Impact on Water from Chetco Bar Fire
- Brookings-Harbor School Dist.: 108 students with incomplete immunization records
- Man Arrested in Brookings for Kidnapping and Sex Abuse
- RAW VIDEO: Footage of Missing Brookings Man's Last Appearance Released
- Petitions Submitted to Recall Port of Brookings Harbor Commissioners