PORTLAND, Ore. — One of Oregon's U.S. senators will be touring the southern and central areas of the state next month, holding town hall meetings with constituents. Senator Jeff Merkley begins the series right after New Years on January 2 in Douglas County.
“Hearing from Oregonians across the state is critical to doing my job,” Merkley said. “From tackling Sudden Oak Death, to big investments in rural broadband, to making sure small ports get dredged, the ideas and priorities I hear about in town halls wind up as the solutions I fight to get into federal law. I look forward to these discussions about how we can strengthen our state and our nation.”
Rural communities w/ large chunks of public, tax-exempt land face a tough challenge: they don’t have the same tax income other areas have to provide basic services like schools and public safety. This was a good win w/ @RonWyden @MikeCrapo @SenatorRisch:https://t.co/yrw8E4LTW6— Senator Jeff Merkley (@SenJeffMerkley) December 18, 2019
Merkley's office said that he will be updating constituents on his latest work in Washington, D.C., in addition to answering questions and taking suggestions about how to handle the challenges facing Oregon and the nation.
Most recently Merkley and his counterpart Senator Ron Wyden have celebrated a number of priorities they championed finding their way into the spending $1.4 trillion spending bill now before President Trump — including $2.17 billion slated to combat unaffordable rent pricing and homelessness.
Merkley said that he has held a town hall in each of Oregon's 36 counties every year since he was first elected in 2009. During this tour of the state, he'll have reached 400 town halls.
A schedule of his upcoming local town halls may be found below.
Douglas County Town Hall
- Thursday, Jan. 2, 2020 at 10 a.m.
- Sutherlin High School (gym): 500 E. Fourth Ave., Sutherlin, OR 97479
Coos County Town Hall
- Thursday, Jan. 2, 2020 at 2 p.m.
- Coquille Community Center (small auditorium): 115 N. Birch St., Coquille, OR 97423
Curry County Town Hall
- Thursday, Jan. 2, 2020 at 5:30 p.m.
- Port Orford Community Hall: 419 Eleventh St., Port Orford, OR 97465
Josephine County Town Hall
- Friday, Jan. 3, 2020 at 8:30 a.m.
- Rogue Community College (gym): 3345 Redwood Highway, Grants Pass, OR 97527
Jackson County Town Hall
- Friday, Jan. 3, 2020 at Noon
- Southern Oregon University (Rogue River Room): 1250 Siskiyou Blvd, Ashland, OR 97520
Klamath County Town Hall
- Friday, Jan. 3, 2020 at 4 p.m.
- Oregon Institute of Technology, College Union (Mazama-Scott Room): 3201 Campus Drive, Klamath Falls, OR 97601