NewsWatch 12 Reporter, Alicia Rubin, spoke with the Grants Pass School District, Cascade Christian, and Three Rivers School District about security plans to protect students from intruders.
Grants Pass School District says that for over a year now they have partnered with Grants Pass Department of Public Safety to provide security on campus. Retired police officers are at Grants Pass schools nearly every day. They do not wear any kind of security identification and act similarly to an air marshal. Students are not aware of who is carrying a gun or who the student marshal is.
In addition to having a student marshal on campus, the Grants Pass School District does regular lock-in and lock-out drills to train students for an intruder.
Cascade Christian Schools also have armed security officers on campus every day but their officers are identified with a uniform. According to district security officer, Ray Cuellar, there are three officers who patrol daily.
Three Rivers School District attempted to pass legislation that would allow for them to have an armed officer on campus over a year ago but was not successful.
NewsWatch 12 spoke to Superintendent, David Valenzuela, who said that he is working to make sure that every school in the district has a secure perimeter and entrances. He also announced a partnership with the Josephine County Sheriff's Office. The Three Rivers School District has began working with Sheriff Daniel to provide an officer at each of the three attendance areas in the county.
- School Safety: Local Schools Implement Armed Security
- Principal Implements System to Stop Bullying at Medford Elementary School
- Supreme Court Lets Military Implement Transgender Restrictions
- School wireless safety bill passes state senate
- School Put on Lockout Following Klamath Falls Armed Bank Robbery
- RAW VIDEO: Security Cameras Capture Vandalism at Medford Schools
- Henley High School Increases Security Following Two Threats
- Parkland Students Start School Year with Tightened Security
- Medford School District Installs New Doorbell Security Systems
- Oregon To Implement Statewide Rape Kit Tracking System