KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. — Klamath Union High School went into lockout procedures after reports of an armed robbery at the nearby Washington Federal bank on Friday morning.
The robbery occurred around 9:30 a.m., when witnesses reported that a man walked into the Washington Federal bank at 803 Main Street and "brandished a handgun," demanding money. The man took an undisclosed amount of money before fleeing through the rear exit of the building.
Despite a search of the area, officers from the Klamath Falls Police Department (KFPD) did not find the robber at the scene.
"Officers have searched the area, have interviewed witnesses and employees, and are continuing the investigation per investigative policy," KFPD said in a statement.
Staff at Klamath Union told NewsWatch 12 that they initiated the lockout procedure as a precaution after reports that a suspect believed to have robbed the bank had been spotted several blocks north, closer to the school.
The suspect is described as a white adult man with dark hair, about 6'0" with a medium-to-large build. He was wearing a dark mask, dark sweatshirt or jacket, and lighter colored jeans or pants. He was also described as wearing "thinner framed" glasses and was carrying a white bag — maybe a garbage bag, KFPD said.
By 11:45 a.m., school officials had lifted the lockout, saying that police had stressed there was "no eminent danger" to students.
"Although it is safe to resume business in the area, please do not approach anyone you believe matches this description," KFPD said. "Please call 911 with any possible suspect information. You may continue to see a large police presence in the area, while investigative leads are followed."
This is a developing story, and NewsWatch 12 will update this article with more details as they emerge.
- School Put on Lockout Following Klamath Falls Armed Bank Robbery
- Klamath Falls First Interstate Bank Robbed
- Deputies Put Down 'Dangerous Bull' Loose Near Klamath Falls
- Chase Bank Armed Robbery and Stabbing Suspect Identified
- Medford elementary school goes into lockout following possible cougar sighting
- High school goes on lockout as Medford Police pursue suspects
- Red Ball From Klamath Falls To Lakeview
- US Air Force Honors Klamath Falls Airmen
- Klamath Falls Woman Dies in Car Crash
- Officer Involved Shooting in Klamath Falls