Photo Gallery 2 Images
SAMS VALLEY, Ore. — Deputies with the Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) arrested a Sams Valley man on Wednesday in connection with a nearby grass fire, the agency said in a statement.
"Deputies say after fire officials contacted the man at the scene, he fled through neighboring properties and tried to hide from deputies," the agency said.
Just after 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, dispatch received a 911 call reporting a grass fire in the 11600-block of Duggan Road in the Sams Valley area. Crews from both Fire District 3 and the Oregon Department of Forestry responded to the scene while JCSO deputies helped with traffic control.
Fire crews were able to contain the fire to about half an acre. Shortly after first responders arrived at the scene, however, a resident in the 9100-block of Highway 234 called 911 to report that a man was trespassing on his property.
"The caller said the man was hiding in the bushes and claimed to have a warrant for his arrest," JCSO said.
Deputies arrived a few minutes later and spotted the man running on Hwy 234. They arrested him without further incident.
The man was later identified as 35-year-old Dusty Brian Korner, who lives on the Duggan Road property where the fire began. Deputies arrested Korner on a warrant for failure to appear in court, stemming from a charge for failing to register as a sex offender.
"Deputies learned that fire officials had contacted Korner earlier at the scene on Duggan Road, and then he left unexpectedly," JCSO said. "Deputies determined Korner set fire to debris items on the property, which spread to nearby grass but avoided structures. A family member called 911 to report the fire."
In addition to the warrant, deputies lodged Korner in the Jackson County jail on charges of reckless burning, two counts of second degree criminal trespass, and failure to register as a sex offender. Korner's bail has been set at $22,500.
- Sams Valley sex offender arrested in connection with grass fire
- Ornamental Grasses
- Accused Sex Offender Arrested In Grants Pass
- Oregon Sex Offender Arrested on New Sex Abuse Charges
- UPDATE: Fire Crews Contain Grass Fire in Applegate Valley
- Sex offender arrested after shooting himself in the neck at Rogue Valley Mall, police say
- UPDATE: Convicted Oregon Sex-Offender Arrested after California RV Chase
- UPDATE: Texas Most-Wanted Sex Offender Arrested in Klamath County
- Josephine County 'Sex Offender Sweep' Nets 27 Arrests
- Registered sex offender arrested, accused of trying to lure teen