MEDFORD, Ore. — With the partial government shutdown lurching into its 34th day, more and more companies and organizations are offering deals or discounts to federal workers increasingly feeling the pinch. On Thursday, Safeway and Albertsons joined the fray.
"We are happy to be able to help the many families impacted financially during the shutdown," said Greg McNiff, President of Oregon and Southwest Washington Safeway and Albertsons.
Thousands of essential government workers continue to work without pay and many thousands more have been furloughed — with unemployment pay or other short-term work proving elusive.
At all Safeway or Albertsons locations in Oregon or southwest Washington, federal workers will receive 10 percent off all national brands and 15 percent off Safeway/Albertsons-branded items. Federal workers will just need to show government-issued ID.
The company said that it has also given $1,000 in gift cards to U.S. Coast Guard sectors in Newport, North Bend and Astoria. Safeway and Albertsons also gave $1,000 in gift cards to workers with the Federal Bureau of Prisons, based in Sheridan.
"We have donated $4,000 to the Oregon Coast Guard and other Federal organizations. We want to continue to help local federal workers who aren’t being paid, so starting today, we are also offering 10% off all national brand items and 15% off Safeway/Albertsons branded items. Federal workers will only need to show their government ID at check out,” said McNiff.
Parks like the Oregon Zoo and local organization Wildlife Images were among the first to offer aid of some sort to federal workers impacted in the state. But as the shutdown continues, more and more companies or organizations related to the basic essentials have been stepping forward to help.
Talent pizzeria The Grotto just announced that it would offer 25 percent off for employees affected by the shutdown. The United Way of Jackson County recently promised temporary financial assistance for struggling federal workers.
- Safeway and Albertsons Offer Discounts for Federal Workers
- Discount Tire
- OSF Offers $10 Community Rush Discount
- Rideshare Companies Offer Discounts for Voters Dropping Off Their Ballots
- Mt. Ashland Season Passes Discounted Through October
- OSF Offers Discounted Tickets to Benefit Food Banks Ahead of 2019 Opening
- President Trump Cancels Pay Raise Due to Federal Workers
- Payday Without Pay Hits Federal Workers as Shutdown Drags On
- President Trump Signs Bill Giving Federal Workers Back Pay
- Federal Land Managers Offer to Pay for Wild Horse Adoptions