ASHLAND, Ore. -- Southern Oregon University has been renewed as a bee campus for 2019 following a rigorous application process. SOU was the original Bee Campus USA three years ago.
Colleges and universities are certified to become bee campuses based on criteria by the Bee City USA organization. SOU says it collaborated with Bee City USA to develop guidelines for the Bee Campus certification in 2015. The university says it was inspired by Ashland and Talent, two early adopters of the Bee City designation.
SOU says there are now 70 colleges and universities nationwide that have earned Bee Campus USA certification, including four others in Oregon. Lane Community College, Portland Community College, Portland State University and University of Oregon all have certifications.
Southern Oregon University has a student-maintained pollinator-friendly garden, two other native pollinator-friendly beds, herbicide-free wildlife areas and a Bee Campus USA subcommittee of SOU's Sustainability Council.
- SOU earns renewal as Bee Campus USA
- Talent Bee City USA Looking For Volunteers
- Cell Tower Proposed For SOU Campus
- Leafcutter Bees
- Police Mapping Cougar Activity Following Confrontation on SOU Campus
- SOU Adds Naloxone Kits to Campus Alongside AED
- Volunteers Track Native Bumble Bees
- Two Million Bees Pollinate Local Orchard
- Scientists say bees can do basic math
- Talent makes new policy to save bees