MCCLOUD, Ca. -- The Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office says on February 28, 2019 at 10:30 a.m. Search and Rescue (SAR) assisted by the Siskiyou County Road Department rescued a woman stuck in deep snow near Bunny Flat. Bunny Flat is a recreational area at the foot of Mt. Shasta at the end of Everett Memorial Highway.
The original call came in on February 27, 2019 at 10:43 a.m. The Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office says a woman called saying her Prius was stuck in deep snow and she could not get herself or the car out. She says she went into the area from Everett Memorial Highway on Sunday but encountered heavy snow from recent storms.
The woman is identified as Lydia Briggs, a resident of Massachusetts. Briggs told SAR that she was almost out of food, and was melting snow to use as drinking water. Briggs said she was intermittently running her car to stay warm, and had less than a quarter tank of gas remaining.
The Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office SAR team attempted to deploy a snowmobile and a "Sno-Cat" to the location, but due to the excessive snow that had fallen, around six feet, the vehicles could not traverse the roadway. SAR says it had to abort the mission.
SAR requested assistance from Mr. Eric Freeman and his Mt. Shasta-based Siskiyou County Road Department crew. SAR says the only way to reach the stranded tourist was to clear the deep snow from the roadway leading to the Bunny Flat parking area. Crews used large snow blowers on Everett Memorial Highway to attempted to clear a path. The team reached Briggs on February 28, 2019 around 10: 30 a.m. and managed to guide her back down Everett Memorial Highway to safety.
- SAR Rescues Woman Stuck in Deep Snow for 24 Hours
- Horse Rescued by Jackson County SAR Team
- Jackson County SAR Encourages Snow Safety, Announces New Shelter
- 'Snowed In' many people stuck in Ashland
- Semi-Truck Stuck in Snow Blocks Lanes on Highway 140
- Garner Complex Grows Nearly 3,000 Acres in 24 Hours
- An American dies of coronavirus in China as the global death toll surpasses SARS
- Passengers stuck on United flight in frigid cold for more than 14 hours
- Video shows a man rescuing neighbor's dog after its leash got stuck in elevator doors
- California firefighters rescue a puppy that got its head stuck in a wheel