Photo Gallery 2 Images
GRANTS PASS, Ore. — Rural Metro Fire Department and the Grants Pass Fire Department said a house was destroyed in a fire around 9 a.m. Sunday morning.
Rural Metro Fire said the fire broke out at 1800 NE Beacon Drive near Hillcrest, and quickly reached second alarm status. The house that caught fire is known as the "round house."
Susan Allen lives in the neighborhood. She said the fire happened quickly.
"While I was talking to them I heard kind of a boom and I looked over and the whole front of the house was engulfed in flames. It was just like so quickly that it happened," said Allen.
The Battalion Chief for the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety (GPDPS) said his team could see smoke in the distance while they were on their way to the scene.
Firefighters arrived at the house to find it heavily involved in the basement and first floor. Crews began an "aggressive fire attack" and soon knocked it down, GPDPS said. They then had to spend a great deal of time ensuring that the fire was completely out.
"This house is commonly called the round house due to it being completely round on the exterior," the agency said. "This also meant that there were hidden and void spaces that had to be opened to fully extinguish the fire, increasing our overhaul time."
GPDPS said that there were several people inside the house at the time who were able to get out safely, and a working smoke detector helped wake or alert them. One person did receive minor injuries while trying to put the fire out.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation. If you have any information about the cause of the fire, you can call Grants Pass Department of Public Safety at 541-450-6260.
- Well-known 'Round House' catches fire in Grants Pass
- Several Grants Pass Businesses Catch Fire Overnight
- Two-story house catches fire in Grants Pass on Christmas Eve
- Police: Counterfeit 'Movie Money' Making the Rounds in Grants Pass
- Police investigating cause of Grants Pass house fire
- Three dogs rescued from house fire in northern Grants Pass
- Grants Pass Fire Rescue Goes Pink
- Grants Pass Chaplain Helping Camp Fire Victims
- Fire Destroys Motorhome in Grants Pass
- Two homes damaged in Grants Pass fire