MEDFORD, Ore. -- Donations are starting to come in for this year's Season for Sharing drive.
The Rogue Valley Street Rods donated about 100 toys to the Salvation Army in Jackson County Tuesday. All the toys and food collected during the drive will go to local families.
“We’re hoping to serve about 400 families this year, so the gifts for that will vary depending on the family size," said Lt. Sara Evans with the Salvation Army.
The Rogue Valley Street Rods said the drive is a great way to give back to the community.
“More recently we have been doing the kids unwrapped gifts I would say for the last 4 years. It was something started by the previous president to give more to the area because the need is great for a lot of the children," said club President Steve Mitchell.
Charity is nothing new to the group. Members collected and donated nearly 200 coats to Newswatch 12's Coats for Kids drive this year.
"This is just another venue we try to do during the holiday season so those that are in need can enjoy it," said Mitchell.
The Salvation Army said it needs more donations like this one. The organization is looking to collect about 5,000 toys this year to go to 2,000 children in Jackson County.
“I just highly encourage everyone to help participate with the toy drive this year. You can pick up a toy and drop it off at any of our drop off locations, we are usually particularly in need of toys and gifts for teenagers of both boys and girls. Those are usually the hardest to match with gifts," said Lt. Evans.
You can help the Salvation Army reach its goal. You can find a list of drop off sites on our website. The Salvation Army is looking for new, unwrapped toys. You can also donate non-perishable food.
NewsWatch 12 is also collecting monetary donations. You donate the money, NewsWatch 12 will use the money to buy gifts in the gender and age ranges most needed.
- Rogue Valley Street Rods makes large donation to Season for Sharing drive
- Rogue Valley Street Rods stop by with Coats for Kids donations
- Rogue Valley Mental Health Support
- Rogue Valley Expressway now open
- Season for Sharing: Holiday Toy & Food Drive
- Thousands Lined the Streets for Annual Rogue Valley Pride Parade
- Rogue Valley Smoke Drives Business to the Coast
- Volunteers help make Season for Sharing possible
- Award-Winning Film Makes Its Way to the Rogue Valley
- 'Large Scale' Power Outage in Grants Pass, Rogue River Resolved