ROGUE RIVER, Ore. —
UPDATE: Appearing via video at her arraignment before a judge on Monday, 49-year-old Kyla Duncan declined to issue any verbal responses — answering the judge's questions by nodding her head "yes" or shaking it "no."
"Ma'am, I think you can speak," the judge said at one point, addressing Duncan. "Guilty or not guilty?"
Duncan continued to shake her head, eventually acknowledging that had pleaded not guilty on two counts of Attempted Murder.
According to court documents, Duncan is accused of trying to kill a child on two separate occasions within the space of two days — the second of which led to her arrest.
Duncan's bail was set at $1 million, with stipulations that — should she post bail — she would have no contact with her alleged victim, not possess any weapons, and stay away from alcohol and other intoxicants.
(Updated 2/11/19 at 4:55 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: A woman is in custody after allegedly attempting to kill herself and her young child through carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO).
Just after 10 a.m. this morning, Emergency Communications of Southern Oregon routed a 911 call to Sheriff's deputies, telling them that a woman had been seen in her vehicle, "attempting to commit suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning."
The caller also said that there had been a young child in the vehicle. However, the woman had fled the scene, the caller reported.
Deputies joined troopers from Oregon State Police and officers with Rogue River Police in searching the area described by the caller — eventually finding the car.
49-year-old Kyla Duncan of Rogue River and the child were brought to a local hospital and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. Duncan was then brought to the Jackson County Jail, charged with two counts of Attempted Murder in the First Degree.
The child was released to family, JCSO said. An investigation into the incident remains ongoing, and the agency said that further details would be "released as appropriate."
- Rogue River Woman Accused of Trying to Kill Child Pleads 'Not Guilty'
- Woman Killed in Memorial Day Rogue River Rafting Accident
- Rogue River Police Officer Found Not Guilty of Assault
- Rogue River Man Accused of Sexually Abusing Young Girl
- UPDATE: Near Head-On Crash Kills Driver in Rogue River
- Driver Strikes and Kills Pedestrian in Rogue River
- UPDATE: Woman missing near Rogue River has been found safe
- Oregon College Safety Officer Pleads Guilty to Killing Woman
- Crews Backburn Close to the Rogue River
- Rogue River Rafting Incident Claims Man's Life