RANCHERIA, Ore. — After a series of kills at a Klamath County ranch that had wildlife officials on guard, the wolves of the "Rogue Pack" appear to be on the move again. This time three calves were found dead in Jackson County in the Rancheria area, according to Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW).
The rancher said that he had found the three 11-month-old calves dead in his pasture over a series of days in early November. He requsted an investigation from wildlife officials on November 10, with both a neighbor and a ranch hand saying that they had heard wolves howling in the night during that period.
"When examined on 11/10, there were scattered bones and a small piece of hide; the only remaining tissue was below the ankles," ODFW said in their report.
Only one of the kills was conclusively attributed to a wolf attack, since wildlife officials did not find bite fang marks on what remained of the other two. Nonetheless, ODFW did attribute that kill to the Rogue Pack — Southern Oregon's thriving family of wolves.
In late October, wildlife officials investigated a series of wolf kills at a ranch in Klamath County. ODFW set up deterrent methods at the ranch, plus traps and remote cameras — not authorizing lethal force.
There were previous livestock deaths in the Rancheria area in mid-October that could not be conclusively attributed to wolves, according to ODFW's report.
The Rogue Pack describes the progeny of famed alpha wolf OR-7, who settled in the area several years ago and has fathered multiple litters of wolf pups.
- 'Rogue Pack' Wolves Kill Calves at Jackson County Ranch
- 'Rogue Pack' Wolves Target Calves at Klamath County Ranch
- ODFW confirms two Jackson County calves killed by wolves
- Wildlife officials confirm Rogue Pack wolves responsible for puppy death
- Rancher Allowed to Kill Two Wolves
- Local rancher deals with losing livestock to 'Rogue' wolf pack
- Environmental group launches GoFundMe for fence to separate Rogue wolves, ranchers
- Oregon Officials Kill Two Wolves in Effort to Save Cattle
- Running Y Ranch Resort
- Wolves on the Rise Throughout Oregon