ROGUE RIVER, Ore--- Styrofoam to go containers at restaurants could be banned in Oregon. This legislation is in the Oregon Senate right now.
Taqueria La Guacamaya is taking a bite out of climate change. The restaurant is getting rid of styrofoam.
"We want to help. We want to do a little bit of our part for the environment" said Julio Romero the Manager of Taqueria La Guacamaya in Rogue River.
The restaurant started the change away from styrofoam last week. "It's a little bit more expensive, but you know we are going to have to work that out" said Romero. Romero said he started this change, because of his customers. "In my case whatever I can do will do. I mean there's not going to be that much, but you know little by little I think we can make a difference. Right?" said Romero.
Ryan Hess the Mayor of Rogue River stopped at the restaurant to eat lunch today. That's when he heard about the switch. "Anytime anyone is making that transition to help out the environment I really think that that's a positive. Josephine County has made a conservative effort lately with the Rogue River clean up and we are trying to do the same thing here in Rogue River. I think that Julio has been a leading force in that and it's wonderful to see" said Hess.
I asked Romero if he was familiar with the debate in the Oregon Legislature. He said he's heard about it, but made the switch for the environment. He is also making a push with limiting plastic straws as well. "Now when we show up to the table we ask people if they want the straw or not" said Romero.
Cities in Oregon have passed similar laws about styrofoam. If this bill becomes law it will be the first statewide ban on it.
- Restaurants could be banned from using styrofoam
- Ban on Styrofoam containers fails even as lawmakers pass plastic bag ban
- Oregon votes to ban restaurants from offering plastic straws
- Restaurants Salute to Veterans
- New Restaurants Coming To Medford
- Oregon bans offshore drilling
- Restaurant Feeds Less Fortunate On Thanksgiving
- Yreka Restaurant Takes Stand Against Bullying
- Restaurants Encounter Customers Bringing Animals Inside
- Italian Restaurant Promises Pizza for Lottery Losers