WASHINGTON, D.C. — U.S. Representative Greg Walden (R-Hood River) is heralding a new bundle of legislation that aims to address the opioid epidemic across the nation.
The legislative package is called the Substance Use-Disorder Prevention that Promotes Opioid Recovery and Treatment (SUPPORT) for Patients and Communities Act, or H.R. 6.
The SUPPORT Act serves as a vehicle for multiple bills tailored for the opioid crisis, and was formed by a bipartisan effort. Rep. Walden is joined by Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX), Rep. Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ), and Rep. Richard Neal (D-MA) in spearheading the deal.
"All across the country, families and communities have struggled for far too long against the scourge of opioid addiction. These are our friends, our neighbors, and our family members, and we as a Congress are committed to doing all we can to combat the opioid crisis and save lives,” said Walden in a joint statement with Reps. Brady, Pallone, and Neal.
Since the SUPPORT Act contains bills that have already been approved by votes in the House of Representatives, the whole package will now head to the Senate for deliberation and a vote.
“We have an opportunity to save lives. We have a responsibility to our families, friends, communities, neighbors, and our nation.” Watch Chairman @repgregwalden speak on the legislative package on the House floor aimed at combating the #OpioidCrisis >> https://t.co/tvYOWJwKRN
— Energy and Commerce (@HouseCommerce) June 12, 2018
- Rep. Walden Announces SUPPORT for Communities Harmed by Opioids
- U.S. House Passes Rep. Walden's Opioid Recovery Bill
- Rep. Walden Supports More Data Shared for Background Checks
- Rep. Walden Introduces Klamath Infrastructure Improvement Act
- Rep. Walden Commends Medford Veterans' Advocates
- Local Students Honored by Rep. Walden
- Rep. Walden Discusses Short-Term And Long-Term Drought Solutions
- EPA Administrator Pruitt Faces Questioning From Rep. Walden's Comittee
- Rep. Walden Helps Pass Nuclear Waste Cleanup Bill