Photo Gallery 4 Images
GASQUET, Calif. —
UPDATE: The highway is back open again, according to Caltrans.
SR 199 in Del Norte County has reopened.
— Caltrans District 1 (@CaltransDist1) April 11, 2019
(Updated 4/10/19 at 5:50 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: Redwood Highway is closed on the California side due to a rock slide, according to Caltrans.
The slide is located 1.2 miles north of Gasquet Ranger Station at Lado Del Rio Road, just above the town of Gasquet. On the south side, crews have now closed the road about 15.6 miles from Highway 101 — seemingly just beyond Gasquet. On the north side, the highway has been closed at the Oregon border, south of O'Brien.
"Crews look like they have their work cut out for them . . . At this time there is no estimated time of reopening. We'll update you here when we have more information," Caltrans said in a post.
Caltrans said that motorists should use an alternate route until the slide can be cleared. This is a developing story.
Heads up if you're CA-bound: US 199, Redwood Hwy in California is closed due a slide. No estimated time for opening according to @CaltransDist1
— Oregon DOT (@OregonDOT) April 10, 2019
- Redwood Highway reopened following rock slide in California
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Redwood Highway is reopen
- Wildland Fire Breaks Out on Redwood Highway
- Motorcyclist dies in crash on Redwood Highway
- Police investigating rollover crash on Redwood Highway
- Crash On Redwood Highway Sends One To Hospital
- Fire Marshal Investigates House Fire on Redwood Highway
- Redwood Highway Blocked by Crash North of Cave Junction
- One person dead following multi-car crash on Redwood Highway
- Forestry firefighters injured in crash on Redwood Highway