MEDFORD, OR -- Monday is the beginning of Disaster Preparedness Week hosted by Red Cross and the Allstate Foundation.
Allstate agencies are distributing 10,000 disaster kits throughout the Northwest. About 2,000 of those will be available in Oregon. To help prepare for wildfire season. Plus Allstate it is donating 50,000 dollars to the Oregon Red Cross to help prepare for wildfire season.
People who live in Medford can pick up their disaster preparedness starter kit at any participating Allstate agency. Allstate says you can also do these three steps to prepare you and your family.
1) Build a disaster preparedness kit with:
1. Water (one gallon per person, per day)
2. Ready-to-eat, nonperishable food (for family members and pets)
3. Battery-powered or hand-crank radio
5. First-aid kit
6. Whistle (to signal for help)
7. Dust mask, plastic sheeting and duct tape
8. Antiseptic and plastic garbage bags with ties (for sanitation)
9. Wrench or pliers
10. Local maps (to locate emergency services and shelters)
11. Extra batteries
12. Prescription medication(s)
2) Create a household emergency evacuation plan:
1. Emergency contact names and numbers – mobile and landline. As an extra precaution, everyone in your family should program “In Case of Emergency,” or ICE, contacts in their mobile phones so emergency personnel can contact them if needed.
2. Family meeting place in your neighborhood and an alternative meeting place in the region
3. Personal details for each family member (date of birth, important medical information, recent photos)
4. Addresses and phone numbers of the places family members frequent on a regular basis (work, school)
5. Contact information for medical providers (doctors, pharmacist, veterinarian)
6. Important medical and insurance information, including photocopies of your medical insurance card(s)
7. For a fill-in-the-blank household emergency plan and cards to download, print and keep close at hand, visit www.ready.gov/make-a-plan.
3) Help your community get ready for a disaster.
- Red Cross and Allstate hosting Disaster Preparedness Week
- Allstate handing out 2,000 disaster preparedness kits in Oregon
- Free Disaster Preparedness Kits Available Ahead of Fire Season
- Red Cross Seeks Volunteers in Grants Pass for Disaster Relief
- Local Red Cross Recruits Volunteers For Hurricane Disaster Relief
- Oregon Agencies Eye Klamathon Fire, Urge Preparedness
- Local Red Cross Volunteer Helps Volcano Victims
- Red Cross To Close Grants Pass Shelter
- Red Cross Seeks Nominations for 'Hero Awards'
- Oregon Red Cross Volunteers Help With Wildfire Aid