GRANTS PASS, Ore. — In just a matter of weeks, Oregon and Northern California have been rocked by destructive fires. Many hundreds of people in places like Hornbrook or Redding have lost homes to fire, and thousands more have been temporarily displaced. Living in and around these communities, none of us are untouched.
For those looking for to lend a helping hand, the Red Cross is ready to accept it.
Red Cross staff will hold a volunteer fair in Grants Pass this coming weekend. Individuals interested in volunteering with the Red Cross for local and national disaster relief efforts are encouraged to attend. No RSVP is required.
The organization will present an overview of Red Cross services in this region, and new volunteers will have an opportunity to speak with Red Cross workers, learn about volunteer opportunities, and sign up to volunteer on-site.
Since July 24, the Red Cross has operated a wildfire evacuation shelter for people affected by wildfires in Southern Oregon. The shelter remains open at Grants Pass High School. To date, the Red Cross says that their shelter has provided 82 overnight stays and served approximately 2,336 meals and snacks to evacuees.
The details on the volunteer fair are as follows:
Red Cross Volunteer Fair
Grants Pass High School - 830 NE 9th St, Grants Pass, OR 97526
Sunday, August 5 from 2-5 p.m.
The Red Cross has also opened an information center in Shady Cove for those displaced by the Sugar Pine Fire in the Elk Creek area. For more information, see the post below.
- Red Cross Seeks Volunteers in Grants Pass for Disaster Relief
- Local Red Cross Recruits Volunteers For Hurricane Disaster Relief
- Red Cross To Close Grants Pass Shelter
- Pedestrian Crossing Worries in Grants Pass
- Local Red Cross Volunteer Helps Volcano Victims
- Police Seek Bank Robber in Grants Pass
- Grants Pass Takes Multiple Steps in Preparing for Future Disasters
- Red Cross Seeks Nominations for 'Hero Awards'
- Local Red Cross Volunteers Head for California Fires
- Oregon Red Cross Volunteers Help With Wildfire Aid