CHILOQUIN, Ore. — Two people are in jail after a reckless driving complaint brought the Klamath County Sheriff's Office to the scene. Witnesses say that the driver nearly struck a young boy and his family.
A second call notified deputies that the vehicle's occupants had gotten into a fight with witnesses who saw the narrow miss. Deputies were able to find and stop the vehicle.
The car was full of "intoxicated and uncooperative individuals," according to a statement from the Sheriff's Office, and more people came from a nearby residence to join them. Deputies say that they endured threats and racial slurs from the crowd, before they were able to arrest two people.
20 year-old Daniel Hutchinson has been charged with Driving Under the Influence, Reckless Driving, Reckless Endangering, and Assault in the Fourth Degree. 19 year-old Nyah Moses had a warrant for Failure to Appear on an Assault charge in Multnomah County. Both are being held in the Klamath County Jail.
Deputies referred to the interaction with those two individuals and their comrades as quickly "deteriorating."
The Sheriff's Office statement ended with the following message: "There has been a widely supported effort in the Chiloquin area to heal the community following several acts of violence in the past year. The Klamath county Sheriff's Office applauds this effort ... but these two individuals aren't helping."
- Reckless Driving Complaint Leads to Two Arrests in Chiloquin
- Reckless driving leads to fatal crash on Highway 99
- Officials Close Chiloquin Elementary for 3 Days Due to Virus
- Crash on Highway 97 in Chiloquin leaves pedestrian dead
- Fire crews line 293-acre Taylor Butte Fire east of Chiloquin
- 'Reckless Driving' crash causes lost power for Ashland medical facilities
- Medford Police seeks info on reckless driving 'chase' through downtown
- Police arrest man suspected in reckless driving crash that killed Wolf Creek firefighter's wife
- Deputies arrest 'reckless driver' following 36-mile high-speed chase
- Truck driver speaks out about the dangers of driving reckless near an 18-wheeler