Photo Gallery 11 Images
BROOKINGS, Ore. —
UPDATE: Curry County has issued an update on road closures due to flooding and slides.
- Winchuck River Road: Due to the continued debris flow on Winchuck River Road, at approximately mile marker 4.5, the road will remain closed overnight. Road crews need the ground flow to subside in order to safely clear the debris.
- Gardner Ridge Road: The washout on Gardner Ridge Road, near Hazel Camp Road, is situated in a steep canyon in the Chetco Bar Fire burn scar. The debris flow that was caused by this weekends rain storms resulted in the eastbound lane of travel falling down the canyon. A permanent solution is being looked at, but for now the road will be restricted to one lane of travel. The County Road Department will be moving the open lane as close as possible to the uphill bank on the westbound lane of travel as well as stabilizing the eastbound side of the road.
"Please continue to use caution when driving. New landslides are still possible as this storm system continues to move to our east," Curry County Emergency Services said.
(Updated 4/8/19 at 4 p.m.)
UPDATE: According to Curry County Emergency Services, there are multiple road closures in effect due to flooding or slides.
- Gardner Ridge at Hazel camp is closed to all traffic except for those that live past closure zone.
- Winchuck River road is closed at approximately 4.5 miles due to active slide.
- Hunter Creek road is currently experiencing flooding and will increase due to high tide at 3 p.m.
Waters on the Chetco River have risen well above the banks in many areas, and saturated ground pounded with continuous rainfall greatly increases the likelihood of slides.
(Updated 4/8/19 at 1:35 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: The coast is being hit hard with rain continuing into Monday morning.
According to Curry County Emergency Services, a substantial landslide on Winchuck River Road, south of Brookings, caused total road blockage.
Another landslide on Chetco River Road, east of Brookings, caused total road blockage.
There is severe flooding reported along Chetco River near Brookings. Curry County Emergency Services says multiple residences are flooded along banks of the river. They are also reporting flooding on county roads surrounding the river.
They are expecting the tide to rise an additional couple feet from the current level. Flooded homes are generally in the tidal zone.
Severe flooding is reported along Hunter Creek, south of Gold Beach. Right now Hunter Creek Road is impassable due to flooding.
Several smaller slides have been reported throughout county but at this time responding crews do not have specifics. Crews are receiving several reports of debris and trees impacting travel along county roads.
Highway 101 is impacted by new slides and debris blockages throughout Curry County. There are no road closures on the highway at this time.
This is a developing story and we will continue to update this article with the latest information.
- Rain causing landslides and flooding along Oregon coast
- Heavy Rain Can Lead to Landslides
- Crabbing Reopens Along Oregon Coast
- Authorities Warn of High Winds, Heavy Rains, Landslides in Region
- Heavy rain in Curry County brings multiple landslides
- Whale Watching On The Oregon Coast
- Sneaker Wave Warning for the Oregon Coast
- Crabbing Closed Along Southern Oregon Coast
- Earthquake, Aftershock Reported Off the Oregon Coast
- Five Earthquakes Reported Off the Oregon Coast