MEDFORD, Ore. —
UPDATE: According to Oregon State Police (OSP), the driver and only fatality in Tuesday's crash was 32-year-old Ryan Hitt of Ashland
The update from OSP did not include any additional information on the investigation or what factors may have contributed to the crash.
(Updated 10/24/18 at 5:50 p.m.)
INITIAL REPORT: A fatal single-vehicle crash that slowed I-5 southbound traffic to a standstill on Tuesday remains mysterious even after investigators worked to reconstruct the incident.
The crash occurred around 5 p.m. near milepost 25 on the freeway. Investigators believe that the driver of a white 1985 Toyota pickup was traveling south when he suddenly veered off the roadway — skidding onto the shoulder before rolling and coming to rest in a thicket of blackberry bushes alongside the freeway.
According to Oregon State Police (OSP), the driver was not wearing a seatbelt and was thrown from the truck. He sustained fatal injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.
I-5 southbound experienced congestion for roughly an hour after OSP closed down the slow lane in order to conduct a reconstruction of the crash.
- UPDATE: Driver Identified in Fatal I-5 Crash South of Medford
- Two crashes slow traffic on I-5 south of Medford
- UPDATE: Crash on I-5 Northbound in Medford Cleared
- UPDATE: Multi-Vehicle Crash on I-5
- Lane Closure on I-5 South of Medford Due to Rollover Crash
- Police identify pedestrian killed in fatal crash on I-5 in Josephine County
- Crash on I-5 in Medford Closes Southbound Slow Lane
- I-5 northbound lane closed through Medford due to crash
- UPDATE: Victim Identified in Fatal Grants Pass Crash
- UPDATE: Police Identify Victims in Fatal Crash on Highway 199