GRANTS PASS, ORE,-- Britt Festival Music director, Teddy Abrams has been traveling around Southern Oregon visiting local high school bands.
Abrams says these visits are important not only for getting the word out about the annual Britt Festival, but also about connecting with young musicians and their passion for music.
“I love to make these visits because what we're really doing here is finding not just the audiences of the future, but also but members of future orchestras and there's nothing as important as music education," says Abrams.
He says that the Britt Festival is all about bring the community together through music and that often starts at a younger age. "Music is one of the few subjects that you're going to have the relationship with your entire life, very few people stop listening to music after high school. Music education often times is treated like it's not as important as other subjects, but one of the great things about Southern Oregon is that we actually have very strong music programs.”
He says that by going to local high schools, the Britt Festival Orchestra is able to show their support for other local musicians and enthusiasts. Abrams says, "When I went to orchestra, that was my world there and I felt like I belonged, so when I see that happening it gives me so much satisfaction and it's so inspiring.”
Abrams will visit 4 different high schools around the Rogue Valley and will help conduct a music class at each one to connect with kids and give them some advice on the pieces they are currently playing.
- Professional Conductor Shares Talent With Young Musicians
- EMCON Conference will show off young, digital media talent
- Talent Hosts Major Recycling Event
- Phoenix-Talent $69 Million Dollar Bond Issue
- Man Charged with Attempted Murder in Talent
- Talent Gateway Project Taking Steps Towards Completion
- Business Applies to Rebuild Talent Truck Stop
- Longtime Teleservices Business in Talent Shuts Doors
- Talent Police Chief to Retire, Replacement Pending
- Talent Truck Stop Planning Official Reopening