GRANTS PASS, Ore.- Now that Thanksgiving is over, many people set their sights on Christmas. A lot of people buy their Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving.
The Rural Metro Fire Department in Josephine County offers some advice on how to keep your tree healthy and your family safe. A dry tree can catch on fire in seconds and quickly spread throughout your home.
Rural Metro Fire wants you to consider a live tree rather than a cut tree. It's easier to keep it green.
If you do buy a cut tree from a lot, ask how long ago it was cut. You want trees that have been cut more recently so they stay green longer.
Make sure the tree stand is sturdy so your kids or pets can't knock it over.
Water your tree every day.
You should keep it away from wood stoves, portable heaters, and candles.
Rural Metro Fire recommends turning off your tree lights when you're asleep or not at home.
The most important thing they say is to make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working.