WASHINGTON (AP) - President Donald Trump is firing Veterans Affairs Secretary David Shulkin and replacing him with the White House doctor in the wake of a bruising ethics scandal and a mounting rebellion within the VA.
Trump tweets that he intends to nominate "highly respected Admiral Ronny L. Jackson, MD, as the new Secretary of Veterans Affairs."
Trump says Robert Wilkie, an undersecretary at the Defense Department, will serve as acting VA secretary until Jackson is confirmed.
Shulkin is the second Cabinet secretary to depart over controversies involving expensive travel, following former Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price's resignation last September.
Trump says he is "thankful for Dr. David Shulkin's service to our country and to our GREAT VETERANS!"
(Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
3/28/2018 2:42:21 PM (GMT -7:00)
....In the interim, Hon. Robert Wilkie of DOD will serve as Acting Secretary. I am thankful for Dr. David Shulkin’s service to our country and to our GREAT VETERANS!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 28, 2018
- President Trump Fires V.A. Secretary Shulkin
- Trump signs VA Mission Act
- DeFazio: Retaliation Still Happening at Roseburg VA
- CNN is Suing President Trump
- Homeland Security Secretary Expected to Leave
- President Trump's Infrastructure Plan Provokes Local Response
- President Trump Announces Allied Strike on Syria
- President Trump pardons Dwight and Steven Hammond
- President Trump Tours Wildfire-Ravaged Malibu Area
- President Trump Withdrawing Troops From Syria