CHILOQUIN, Ore. -- Students were evacuated from Sage Community School Friday morning due to poor air quality.
Klamath County Public Health said the smoke is from a prescribed burn in the Chiloquin area.
The County said that 65 students between Kindergarten and Eighth Grade were bused to Chiloquin Elementary School around 8:30 Friday morning. They waited there to be picked up by their parents or guardians.
“I was in contact with the school director and it was important to remove students and personnel from the premises,” said Emergency Management Director Brandon Fowler in a news release. “This was done out of an abundance of caution due to air quality.”
The Klamath County Public Health Director said the particulate matter found in the smoke is small enough to be caught in the lungs. The irritation from smoke exposure is especially harmful to small children, those with asthma and other lung disease.
The Health Department recommends people stay hydrated to keep lung tissue moist.