MEDFORD, Ore. — A Medford man is behind bars on Tuesday after leaving the scene of a brutal domestic assault, the Medford Police Department (MPD) said.
On Wednesday, June 12, officers from Medford Police responded to an apartment at 700 Crater Lake Avenue following reports of a domestic disturbance. The suspect, 35-year-old Charles Mott, apparently fled the scene before officers arrived.
"The investigation indicated that Mott strangled, assaulted and menaced the female victim with a knife, threatening to killl her," MPD said in a statement.
MPD said that the investigation gave them probable cause to arrest Mott "on numerous charges." Meanwhile, the woman that Mott was accused of attacking sought medical treatment for her injuries on her own, the agency said.
It took several days for MPD to track Mott down, but on Monday evening just before 9 p.m. they returned to the same apartment where the attack took place.
"While there was no answer at the door, it was apparent the apartment was occupied. During the incident, officers spotted Mott briefly walk out onto the balcony before going back in," the agency said.
Police surrounded the apartment and called in the SWAT Team.
"A short time later, the front door was opened and the female victim was pushed out, then the door shut again," MPD said.
The agency said that attempts to communicate with Mott deteriorated, and SWAT eventually threw tear gas into the apartment. Just after 1 a.m., Mott came out and let himself be taken into custody.
Mot has been lodged for Assault 4 (Domestic), Strangulation, Menacing, Harassment, and Interfering with Making a Report. His bail has been set at $30,000.
- Police: Suspect 'strangled, assaulted and menaced' woman with a knife
- Oregon Man Accused of Assaulting Woman, Strangling Dog
- Suspect Arrested in Grants Pass for Punching, Strangling Woman
- Police: Domestic violence suspect severely beat, strangled girlfriend
- Sheriff: Young Jacksonville Woman Arrested for 'Eluding, Menacing Deputy'
- Tree Ornaments a Merry Menace for Children
- Police: Woman arrested after menacing people with a gun in Grants Pass
- Woman Punched In Face, Threatened With Knife
- Medford Man Accused of Stabbing, Strangling Dog
- Deputies Arrest Sexual Assault Suspect