GRANTS PASS, Ore. — Police took a man into custody on Thursday following a deadly stabbing at the Fred Meyer in Grants Pass, according to the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety (GPDPS).
Dispatch received a 911 call shortly after noon on Thursday, with the caller reporting an assault outside of Fred Meyer. The caller reported that a victim was bleeding heavily, while the suspected assailant was trying to leave the scene.
When emergency personnel arrived at the Fred Meyer parking lot they found the 26-year-old victim unresponsive, pronouncing him dead at the scene.
Officers tracked the suspect to a nearby business and took him into custody without incident about 12 minutes after the initial call. The officers identified him as 22-year-old Rolando Rivas Jr.
"The identity of the victim will be released once family notification has been completed. Both the victim and suspect are residents of Washington State," GPDPS said in a statement.
According to a probable cause statement filed by the arresting officer, Rivas was the passenger in a white Lincoln Town Car driven by the victim. Rivas became increasingly paranoid that the victim "was going to harm him while [he] slept" — so Rivas pulled a knife and stabbed the 26-year-old multiple times.
The officer's statement also indicated that a search of Rivas' person produced a bag containing methamphetamine.
Rivas was taken to the Josephine County Jail and faces charges for Murder, Unlawful Use of a Weapon, and Unlawful Possession of Methamphetamine. GPDPS said that the case has been turned over to the Josephine County District Attorney's Office for prosecution.
(EDIT: Updated 6/14/19 with information obtained from court documents.)
- Police: Suspect in custody after fatal stabbing outside Fred Meyer in Grants Pass
- Police searching for witness in Grants Pass Fred Meyer stabbing
- Grants Pass Fred Meyer Open After Late Night Lockdown
- Portland Police shot a Federal Fugitive in Fred Meyer
- Early-Morning Stabbing in Grants Pass Leaves One in Custody
- Man Arrested for Detonating Pipe Bomb Behind Fred Meyers
- Police make fifth arrest in stabbing of Grants Pass teen
- Klamath County Stabbing Suspect Taken Into Custody
- Stabbing Suspect in Custody near Klamath Falls
- OSP Investigating Fatal Crash in Grants Pass