EAGLE POINT, Ore. — The Eagle Point Police Department (EPPD) has released new details on a tense standoff last week that drew multiple law enforcement agencies, firefighters and a SWAT team before it was resolved.
Around 6:30 p.m., EPPD said that it received a call about a man who had barricaded himself inside his house "and was threatening to blow himself and law enforcement officers up with gas tanks."
In addition to Eagle Point officers, the scene quickly drew units from the Jackson County Sheriff's Office, SWAT, Jackson County Fire District 3, Ashland Police and Medford Police.
"Nearby residents were notified and evacuated to nearby evacuation shelters generously set up by community members," Eagle Point Police said.
Meanwhile, officers set up a dialogue with the man, 51-year-old Brian Compton. EPPD said that Compton was "extremely agitated," and they believed that he was intoxicated in some way.
"Compton reported that he had a number of gas tanks in his home and threatened to detonate them. He had previously made threats of suicide-by-cop to Eagle Point Police Officers," the agency said.
Negotiations continued, however. Finally, shortly after 10 p.m., Compton emerged from his house and officers took him into custody.
After executing a search warrant at Compton's home, investigators did not find any gas tanks or detonation devices.
Compton remains in the Jackson County Jail, charged with Disorderly Conduct in the 1st Degree. Additional charges have been added since that night, including Stalking, Disorderly Conduct in the 2nd Degree, and three counts of Violation of a Stalking Order. Additional charges are possible as the case remains under investigation.
- Police: Suspect in Eagle Point standoff threatened to 'blow himself and law enforcement officers up with gas tanks'
- Eagle Point Standoff Suspect Arrested, Deputies Placed on Leave
- Suspect Arrested Following Eagle Point Car Chase, Crash
- Standoff in Eagle Point ends peacefully, fire officials working to secure home
- Grand Jury Clears Deputies in Eagle Point Standoff for Shots Fired
- Republican senators threaten lawsuit in climate standoff
- Mail Theft in Eagle Point Sparks Investigation
- Local Students Help Clean Up Eagle Point
- Eagle Point Shooting Victim's Mother Speaks Out
- Missing Eagle Point Girl Found in Arizona