MEDFORD, Ore — A Medford man was arrested on Thursday after attempting to kill his ex-girlfriend and creating a stand-off with police and SWAT teams, according to the Medford Police Department (MPD).
Officers responded to the 1900-block of Hutchins Circle around 4:15 a.m. after receiving reports of an assault. When they arrived, they found an injured 36-year-old woman at a neighbor's house.
The woman reported that she woke up in bed that morning to find her ex-boyfriend looming over her. The suspect, later identified as 37-year-old Ryan Conner, began to attack the victim. She managed to narrowly escape and made it to the neighbor's house to beg for help, according to MPD.
The victim was transported by Mercy Ambulance to a local hospital for treatment of her injuries. MPD said that they were serious, but not life-threatening.
At the victim's home, MPD officers found signs of a struggle. Conner was nowhere to be found.
Police went to the 1700-block of Crater Lake Avenue, where Conner was reported to reside. The victim and Conner had a 3-year-old child together, and officers believed that child to be inside the apartment with Conner.
Surrounding the apartment complex, police tried for over an hour to make contact with the suspect. Connor did not respond. Eventually MPD detectives, a SWAT team and Hostage Negotiators all arrived to aid with the stand-off.
Conner finally emerged and surrendered without incident at 7:20 a.m. that morning.
Investigators later came to believe that Conner had walked to the victim's house and entered with a key. Then, according to MPD, Conner strangled the victim, hit her repeatedly with a rubber mallet, and tried to use a stun gun to subdue her.
After the victim escaped, MPD said that Conner fled on foot, returning to his apartment—where their young child had been left sleeping. After the stand-off, the child was found unharmed and was "reunited with family members."
MPD said that Conner had planned the attack and admitted to investigators that he had planned different ways to dispose of the victim's body. He is reported to be cooperating with investigators, and has been lodged at the Jackson County Jail.
Conner has been charged with Attempted Murder, Assault 1 - Domestic, Assault 2 - Domestic, Attempted Kidnapping 1, Strangulation, Burglary 1, and Child Neglect.
- Police: Suspect Arrested after Attempted Murder, Medford Stand-Off
- Medford Robbery Suspect Arrested
- Attempted murder suspect evaluated, fit to stand trial
- Medford Man Arrested in Maryland on Attempted Murder Charge
- Medford Police Arrest Bank Robbery Suspect
- Police seek suspect in Medford theft of truck, handgun later used in attempted murder
- Medford Police arrest two suspects following attempted robbery at Banner Bank
- Suspect in California Murder Arrested in Medford Area
- Police: Yreka Attempted Murder Suspect Turned Himself In
- Klamath Falls Man Arrested for Attempted Murder