MERLIN, Ore. — Oregon State Police (OSP) are asking for the public's help in finding the person responsible for two deer shot to death and left inside a fenced yard, possibly on July 22.
Troopers from both Central Point and Grants Pass Fish & Wildlife received a call from the Merlin area on Tuesday, July 24 for a deer that was found dead in a resident's front yard. The caller suspected that it may have been poached.
When the troopers arrived, they found two dead deer inside a fenced yard off Grouse Creek Road in the Colonial Valley, only 20 feet from someone's house. Both deer "had bullet holes in them."
OSP says that shots were heard in that area on the evening of July 22 around 11 p.m.
A reward is being offered by the Oregon Hunters Association through the Turn-in-Poachers (TIP) program for any information leading to an arrest in this or any other wildlife case. Callers can remain anonymous. The TIP program number is 1-800-452-7888.
Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact either the TIP hotline at 1-800-452-7888 or by calling Oregon State Police Dispatch at 541-776-6111.
OSP gave the following information on how to deal with suspected poaching activity:
** Report Wildlife and Habitat Law Violators**
Poaching wildlife and damaging habitats affects present and future generations of wildlife, impacts communities and the economy, and creates enforcement challenges.
The Turn-In-Poachers (TIP) reward is paid for information leading to the arrest/conviction of person(s) for the illegal possession, killing, taking, and/or waste of deer, elk, antelope, bear, cougar, wolf, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, moose, furbearers and/or game birds.
TIP rewards can also be given for the illegal taking, netting, snagging, and/or dynamiting of salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, and/or large numbers of any fish listed in Oregon statute as a game fish.
* $1,000 Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goat and Moose
* $500 Elk, Deer and Antelope
* $300 Bear, Cougar and Wolf
* $300 Habitat Destruction
* $100 Game Fish and Shellfish
* $100 Upland Birds and Waterfowl
* $100 Furbearers
How to Report a Wildlife and/or Habitat Law Violation or Suspicious Activity:
TIP Hotline: 1-800-452-7888 (24/7)
TIP E-Mail: TIP@state.or.us (Monitored M-F 8:00AM - 5:00PM)
- Police Seek Information on Poached Deer Left Near Merlin
- Merlin Sidewalk Project Halfway Finished
- Oh Deer!
- UPDATE: Oregon State Police Investigating Shooting Near Merlin
- Poaching Suspects Cited After Four-Month Investigation
- Late-Night Crash Near Merlin Under Investigation
- Sidewalk Showdown: Merlin Residents Disagree About Additions
- Josephine County Commissioners Approve Merlin Sidewalk Project
- Merlin Business Helping Families with Autism
- Elk VS Vehicles Crash in Merlin