UPDATE: Kaleb Harris, the man accused of shooting another man in Shady Cove early Wednesday morning, has been arrested, according to JCSO.
JCSO said that dispatch received a call from Harris at 12:12 p.m. on Wednesday, with Harris saying that he wanted to turn himself in. Harris was found on Highway 62 near Maple Street in Shady Cove. He was taken into custody without incident.
Specific charges in the shooting incident are still pending further investigation by detectives, according to JCSO. Anyone with more information about the case is urged to call the JCSO tip line at (541) 774-8333.
(Updated as of 12:44 p.m. on Wednesday, April 4)
SHADY COVE, Ore. — Police are searching for a suspect after a shooting near a home in Shady Cove. The shooting happened early Wednesday morning in the 2500 block of Indian Creek Road, east of Shady Cove.
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office (JCSO) responded to reports of shots fired around 1:00 a.m. on Wednesday. Deputies arrived at the scene to find 37-year-old Toby Bicknell, a Shady Cove-area transient, had received a single gunshot wound to the hip.
JCSO said that they are searching for 29-year-old Kaleb Harris—also a transient in the Shady Cove area. They believe that the shooting was the result of a fight between the two men. Detectives believe that Harris used a 9mm handgun.
Early reports from detectives suggested that Harris fled into nearby woods after the shooting.
Harris is described as 5'10", 165 pounds, with brown hair, brown eyes, and a reddish-brown beard. He has been known to frequent the Butte Falls and Trail areas.
Detectives said previously that the victim and the suspect know each other and that the public is not at risk.
The victim, Bicknell, was transported to Rogue Regional Medical Center via Mercy Flights helicopter. JCSO previously listed him as being in serious condition, and he is still be treated at this time.
(Updated as of 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, April 4)
- UPDATE: Suspect in Shady Cove Shooting Turns Himself In
- Shady Cove Re-Evaluating Recreational Marijuana Ban
- Shady Cove School Closed today (2/15/19)
- UPDATE: Deputies Find Lost Woman in Shady Cove
- UPDATE: Deputies Investigate Fatal Car Crash in Shady Cove
- Shady Cove Man Dies in Highway 140 Head-On Crash
- Police: Accused Shady Cove Shooter Acted in Self-Defense
- Highway 62 Paving Monday evening for Shady Cove residents
- Shady Cove Library to Host Mental Health Awareness Class
- 2,687 Customers Without Power in Shady Cove and Trail