UPDATE: Prosecutors say an armed man burst into a UPS facility in New Jersey and took two female workers hostage before officers stormed in and resolved the ordeal.
Gloucester County Prosecutor Charles Fiore says the suspect was apparently shot and injured, but the women were unharmed in the situation Monday at the supply chain processing facility in Logan Township, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of Philadelphia.
Employee Allen Anthony Dowling tells The Associated Press he heard a fellow worker say someone had a gun. Dowling says he then heard what he thought was a gunshot and began to run along with other employees.
Fiore says there was apparently a prior relationship between the gunman and one of the women he took hostage.
Police swarmed the area in the morning and evacuated employees.
Updated 01/14/19 at 9:29 a.m.
UPDATE: Suspect shot as police end hostage situation at UPS facility, no serious injuries to 2 female victims.
Updated 01/14/19 at 9:17 a.m.
UPDATE: Burst of gunfire heard outside UPS facility where prosecutor says armed intruder has 2 female employees hostage.
This is a developing story.
Udpated 01/14/19 at 9:09 a.m.
LOGAN TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) - Police have surrounded the loading dock area of a UPS facility in New Jersey in response to a reported active shooter.
Television images show police cars surrounding the loading dock area of the building in Logan Township, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of Philadelphia.
Armed officers could be seen crouching behind one of the vehicles.
In a statement, UPS says it's working with law enforcement on an active shooter situation at its supply chain processing facility in Logan Township, but did not provide details or identify if any employees were involved.
Schools in the area were put on a modified lockdown.
- Police Respond to Reports of Active Shooter at UPS Facility
- Active Shooter Reported in Illinois
- Police department teaches people how to respond to an active shooter
- Eagle Point School District Preps for Active Shooter
- Police Respond to School Shooting False Alarm
- Police: Accused Shady Cove Shooter Acted in Self-Defense
- Police Search For Suspected 'Armed and Dangerous' Shooter
- Deadly Flu Active In Oregon
- Police Mapping Cougar Activity Following Confrontation on SOU Campus
- Rogue River Highway closed due to police activity