MEDFORD, Ore. — A pedestrian was seriously injured early Friday morning when a woman driving under the influence of alcohol swerved onto the sidewalk of E McAndrews Road, according to the Medford Police Department (MPD).
Officer responded to reports of a motor vehicle crash involving a pedestrian on E McAndrews near N Riverside avenue just after 2:30 a.m. Personnel from Medford Fire-Rescue and Mercy Flights found a "seriously injured" pedestrian and began treating her. The victim was rushed to a local hospital and is still being treated for injuries.
MPD said that the driver, identified as 32-year-old Ashley McCallum of Medford, stayed at the scene and cooperated with the investigation. McCallum "showed signs of alcohol intoxication" and was arrested.
"At this time investigators believe the pedestrian was walking on the sidewalk on the south side of the roadway when the suspect vehicle drove up onto the sidewalk and stuck the pedestrian," MPD said. "The identity of the pedestrian is not being released at this time."
Officers lodged McCallum in the Jackson County Jail for Assault in the Second Degree and Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants, with bail set at $110,000.
- Police: Pedestrian Struck, Hospitalized by Drunk Driver in Medford
- Police Identify Pedestrian Struck and Killed by Semi on I-5
- UPDATE: Hit-and-Run Driver Arrested After Pedestrians Struck in Downtown Portland
- Police: Drunk Lyft Passengers Raid Ambulance, Steal From Driver
- Witnesses Say Pedestrian Struck Twice by Vehicles, Critically Injured
- Medford Police Investigating Stabbing
- Police say drivers street racing leads to crash in Medford
- Alleged Drunk Driver Causes Rogue River Power Outage
- Woman Struck by Driver Thrown 15 Feet, Witnesses Say
- Medford Police warn about scam