Photo Gallery 9 Images
CAVE JUNCTION, Ore. — Fire crews from the Illinois Valley Fire District (IVFD) said that they spent Thursday night putting out a spate of grass fires that witnesses report were intentionally set by an unknown suspect.
IVFD units responded to the first call of a grass fire just after 10 p.m., near the area of N Boundary and Lister Streets in Cave Junction. Neighbors said that they saw a woman walking through the area, using a road flare to set piles of trash on fire.
After arriving at the first fire, IVFD firefighters ended up extinguishing six separate grass fires—beginning at N Boundary and Lister but extending out to W River, Ollis Road, and W Maple.
Some of the fires were set just outside the fenceline of Evergreen Elementary School.
IVFD Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) members closed off W River Street for a short time to ensure that fire crews were protected from traffic. CERT thanked the public in a statement for their patience and understanding.
Oregon State Police (OSP) are investigating the arson reports associated with this case.
- Police Investigate Serial Arsonist Near Cave Junction
- Death Investigation in Cave Junction
- Grass Fire in Cave Junction Under Investigation
- Missing Cave Junction Woman Found Safe
- OSP Confirms Shots Fired In Cave Junction
- Officer-Involved Shooting in Cave Junction
- Cave Junction Bingo Fanatic Celebrates 100th Birthday
- Cave Junction Expands Smoking & Vaping Ban
- 15-acre Fire Burns Near Cave Junction
- Crews battle RV fire in Cave Junction