GRANTS PASS, Ore. — A local transient is now under arrest, accused of holding up a Key Bank before fleeing the scene on a scooter according to the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety (GPDPS).
Officers and detectives responded to a hold-up alarm at the Key Bank on Williams Highway just before 1 p.m. on Thursday. When they arrived, the officers began checking the area for suspects while detectives reviewed surveillance footage and interviewed witnesses.
After inquiring with nearby businesses about their security footage, detectives found that the suspect had fled the area on a scooter.
Investigators came to believe that the suspect was 45-year-old Gabriel Gene Suiter, a transient in the Grants Pass area. While officers would take Suiter into custody without incident just 3 1/2 hours later, they quickly implicated him in more crimes.
According to GPDPS, Suiter had a warrant for a previous bank robbery at Umpqua Bank on NE F Street in May and has been pending trial on that case. Investigators also found him to be a suspect in the theft of a vehicle from Fairgrounds Towing. Officers were able to recover the vehicle, and have added those charges.
GPDPS said that Suiter also had methamphetamine on his person at the time of his arrest. Those charges have also been added.
At the time of his lodging in the Josephine County Jail, Suiter was charged with all of the following: Robbery in the Second Degree, Theft in the Second Degree, Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle, Possession of a Controlled Substance-Meth, and warrant charges for Robbery-Third Degree, Theft-First-Degree and PCS Meth.
"The department would like to thank all of the nearby businesses for their cooperation and assistance in solving this crime," GPDPS said in a statement. "Without the cooperation, this case would have been more difficult to investigate and solve so quickly."
- Police: Grants Pass Bank Robbery Suspect Fled on Scooter
- Suspect in Grants Pass Umpqua Bank Robbery Arrested
- Police Seek Bank Robber in Grants Pass
- UPDATE: Police Arrest Suspects in Grants Pass Dutch Bros Robbery
- Medford Police Arrest Bank Robbery Suspect
- Chase and Shooting in Grants Pass, Suspects Connected to Bank Robbery
- Grants Pass Detectives investigating armed robbery
- Medford Police says bank robbery suspect arrested, money recovered
- Grants Pass Police Searching for Suspect Considered 'Armed and Dangerous'
- Police arrest suspect in Grants Pass BB gun 'criminal mischief'