YREKA, Calif. — A Yreka man driving under the influence caused a head-on crash that killed another driver in Siskiyou County on Sunday, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
Just after 5 p.m., dispatch received a 911 call reporting that a white flatbed pickup was "swerving badly" while driving northbound on Old Highway 99 near Pumphouse Road — just south of the Grenada community.
Within minutes, before the warning could even be broadcast to officers, CHP said that the driver of that pickup crossed over the center line and hit a Ford Focus heading southbound — killing the other driver instantly.
When officers arrived at the scene, they identified the driver of the pickup as 22-year-old Tyler Michael Adams-Warf of Yreka. CHP says that their officers found Adams-Warf had been driving "under the influence" at the time of the collision.
Adams-Warf was arrested for felony DUI at the scene and sent via ambulance to Fairchild Medical Center — where he was treated for minor injuries — before booking into the Siskiyou County Jail.
Yreka CHP say that they are working with the Siskiyou County District Attorney's office to develop "all applicable charges" for the crash. Anyone with information regarding Adams-Warf's whereabouts before the November 4 collision should cal CHP Officer Ryan Reeder or Officer Shawn Gordon at (530) 842-0530.
"The Yreka California Highway Patrol wants to remind everyone to designate a sober driver," CHP said in a statement. "With the holiday season approaching, remember to plan accordingly. If you drink, designate a sober driver."
CHP has not yet identified the victim of the crash.
- Police: Fatal Head-On Collision the Result of DUI
- Deadly Head-On Collision Kills One, Injures Two in Coos County
- 34 missing in California dive-boat fire that resulted in numerous fatalities, officials say
- Washington school bus driver faces DUI charge
- Crosswalk 'Sting' Results in 18 Citations from Medford Police
- Coast Guard Helicopter Narrowly Avoids Drone Collision
- Two-Car Collision Sends One To Hospital
- A wild police chase in California had multiple collisions and dogs leaping from a stolen RV
- Watch Party Reaction After Special Election Results
- Unofficial Results in From Ashland Special Election