UPDATE: The suspect in an attempted home-invasion where he was shot in the leg has now been released from the hospital, according to Oregon State Police (OSP). Kristopher Nelson was immediately taken into custody by OSP, and then lodged at the Josephine County Jail.
Nelson has been charged with Attempted Murder, Burglary 1, two counts of Unlawful Use of a Dangerous Weapon, and a felony warrant for Failure to Appear on a weapon offense in Josephine County.
(Updated as of 3:10 p.m. on Monday, April 2)
CAVE JUNCTION, Ore. — A Cave Junction man faces prosecution after getting shot in an attempted burglary, according to Oregon State Police (OSP). This happened early Wednesday morning, at 4:00 a.m.
OSP says that they were alerted to an attempted burglary at a residence near Cave Junction. The caller (and resident) admitted that he had shot a man who had tried to force entry.
When OSP patrol and detectives arrived at the scene, they found 28-year-old Kristopher Nelson laying in the yard of the house he had apparently attempted to burglarize, with a gunshot wound to the leg.
The homeowner claimed that he had fired warning shots, but drew a bead on Nelson when the man did not break off his attacks. That's when the homeowner fired, hitting Nelson in the leg, according to OSP.
OSP claims that the investigation is still ongoing, but the homeowner has been cooperating with detectives. Charges are pending for Nelson, and OSP does not anticipate charging the homeowner with a crime at this time.
Nelson was treated for his injuries at Three Rivers Medical Center. An OSP press release did not specify whether Nelson is currently in custody, or where he may be lodged at this time.
- UPDATE: Cave Junction Man Shot During Attempted Home-Invasion
- OSP Confirms Shots Fired In Cave Junction
- UPDATE: Suspect in Wimer 'Pistol Whipping' Shot in Cave Junction
- Death Investigation in Cave Junction
- Missing Cave Junction Woman Found Safe
- Officer-Involved Shooting in Cave Junction
- Cave Junction Bingo Fanatic Celebrates 100th Birthday
- Police Investigate Serial Arsonist Near Cave Junction
- Cave Junction Expands Smoking & Vaping Ban
- Grass Fire in Cave Junction Under Investigation