YREKA, Calif. — The body of a man reported missing and "at-risk" in Alameda County has been recovered near Yreka, the Yreka Police Department (YPD) said in a statement on Monday.
57-year-old Russell George Tomasich of Dublin, California was reported missing to the Alameda County Sheriff's Department on September 10 after he did not show up for work.
The next day, Yreka Police said that it found Tomasich's vehicle in the 100-block of Humbug Road. Investigation revealed that Tomasich was last seen entering the woods two days before "as if to hike or backpack."
"Tomasich did not seem to be in distress at that time, however his family is concerned due to the fact he suffers from mental illness and a prior traumatic brain injury," Yreka Police said on Saturday, prior to the discovery of his body. "Tomasich’s family is also concerned he has since become incapacitated and is need of assistance due to a similar incident that occurred in the past."
On Monday, YPD announced that Tomasich's body had been discovered in the 7000-block of Hawkinsville-Humbug Road on Sunday afternoon.
The agency had been working with Siskiyou County Search and Rescue with air support from California Highway Patrol since locating Tomasich's vehicle days before.
"Tomasich had been known to hike off into the wilderness on previous occasions and was last seen by Yreka residence with a large backpack in the area of Humbug Road," YPD said. "The Yreka Police Department would like to offer our heartfelt condolences to Mr. Tomasich’s family."
The cause of Tomasich's death is unknown at this time, pending the results of an autopsy.
- Police: Body of missing Bay Area man found near Yreka
- Body of missing Josephine County man found
- Yreka Police Chief Announces His Retirement
- Police Believe Body Found In Dayton Is Missing Oregon Mother
- Body Found Belongs to Missing McCloud Man, Sheriff Confirms
- Body Found in River Identified as Missing Douglas County Man
- Sheriff: Missing Myrtle Creek man's body found, truck burned
- Body of man missing for months found near Toketee Falls
- UPDATE: Car Found Abandoned in Yreka Belonged to Decapitation Victim
- Bear cubs found in Yreka "taken illegally from their mother"