MEDFORD, Ore. — A suspect is now in custody following reports of an armed robbery of a taxi cab driver on Tuesday, according to the Medford Police Department (MPD).
MPD officers responded to the 700 block of Northwood Drive just after 11 p.m. on Tuesday night. Using a K9, officers were able to track the suspect westbound for a while, discovering evidence that the suspect had dropped near some apartments in the 1000-block of Spring Street—but the suspect himself was not found.
In interviewing the victim, she said that she had picked up a fare at the Bear Creek Shopping Center 20 minutes before the robbery. After the cab driver drove the would-be robber to two locations, he pulled out a gun and took her money. The victim was able to describe the suspect to police.
A forensic technician studied evidence from the suspect found in the cab and determined that the suspect was 27-year-old Raymond Mathes—a man familiar to local law enforcement for his frequent run-ins with the law.
An MPD officer later spotted Mathes on May 30, around 7:30 p.m. in the parking lot of CSL Plasma in the 1200-block of S Riverside Avenue. When the officer attempted to stop Mathes, the suspect fled on foot.
Ultimately the MPD officer was able to chase Mathes down and arrest him, according to MPD.
Mathes was booked into jail on charges of Second Degree Robbery and Parole Violation for Burglary in the First Degree and interviewed. Police located the weapon apparently used in the robbery—a 'very realistic looking' replica BB gun.
Detectives believe the suspect’s heroin addiction contributed to his motive to commit the robbery.
- Police Arrest Suspect in Medford Taxi Cab 'Armed' Robbery
- Central Point Police Investigate Armed Robbery of Taxi Cab Driver
- Medford Robbery Suspect Arrested
- Medford Police Search for Armed Robbery Suspect
- Police Arrest Suspect in July Armed Robbery at Medford Subway
- Medford Police Arrest Bank Robbery Suspect
- Police Arrest Armed Suspect
- UPDATE: Police Search For Armed Robbery Suspect
- Police Search for Suspect in Armed Robbery
- Police Searching For Armed Robbery Suspect