MEDFORD, Ore. — A suspect is now in custody in connection with a hit-and-run crash that left one woman seriously injured on Wednesday, according to the Medford Police Department (MPD).
Just after 5 p.m. on Wednesday, officers with MPD were dispatched to reports of a vehicle vs. pedestrian crash on South Pacific Highway south of Garfield Street. When they arrived, they found a seriously injured woman, later identified as 26-year-old Chantal Haney. The driver and vehicle involved were not at the scene.
While emergency personnel from Medford Fire and Mercy Flights began treating Haney, officers began investigating the scene. They determined that a vehicle had been traveling southbound when it hit Haney as she crossed South Pacific Hwy.
Haney was rushed to the hospital for treatment of her injuries. At the time, the driver who had hit her was not located. Authorities described it as an "unknown color sedan missing the rear bumper," with possible damage to the front headlight area.
But before 1 p.m. today, someone provided a tip to investigators regarding the possible location of the car involved in the case. MPD responded to the 3600-block of Crater Lake Hwy, finding a silver BMW sedan "with front end damage consistent with the case." Investigators identified the owner of the vehicle and contacted him at work, according to MPD.
The suspect has been identified as 20-year-old Janathean Walker. MPD says that he has been cooperating with investigators and was brought to the Jackson County Jail on a charge of Failure to Perform the Duties of a Driver (Felony), with bail set at $7,500.
- Police Arrest Suspect in Medford Hit-and-Run Crash
- Medford Robbery Suspect Arrested
- Police Arrest Suspect in Medford High-Speed Overpass Crash
- Medford Police Arrest Bank Robbery Suspect
- Police Arrest Suspect in Medford Taxi Cab 'Armed' Robbery
- Police: Suspect Arrested after Attempted Murder, Medford Stand-Off
- Police: Two arrested at Medford motel, suspected of sex-trafficking
- Police Arrest Another Suspect in Medford Drive-By
- Police Arrest Suspects in Downtown Medford Vandalism Spree
- Police Arrest Suspect in July Armed Robbery at Medford Subway